Adriana Parrilla is a documentary photographer born and raised in San Juan, Puerto Rico. She is based between San Juan, Puerto Rico, and Paris, France. Her work focuses on long-term form storytelling using mixed media photography to explore themes of identity, Blackness, and racialization in a colonized country.
She holds a BA in Modern Languages from the University of Puerto Rico, and a European Master in Photojournalism and Documentary Photography from Spéos Photographic Institute in Paris.
Her professional background as a ballet and contemporary dancer played a significant role in developing an inner sensibility to the world around her. In 2019, she was awarded the Teodoro Torres Award (Photo-Essay) in the Annual Competition of the Association of Puerto Rican Photojournalists. In 2021 she was selected as a mentee for the Women Photograph Mentorship Class. Her work has appeared in The Washington Post, Huck Magazine, Another Magazine, The Guardian and, more.
Currently in📍Paris, France.
Available for assignments globally.
Languages: Spanish (fluent), English (fluent), French (fluent) and Italian (basic).
Let's Collaborate ! ⬇
Exhibitions / Recognitions
- 2021 - 9 Puerto Rican Visual Artists to Look Out For in 2021 - Visura.co
- 2021 - Women Photograph Mentorship Program, Mentee
- 2020 - The Best Photo Stories of 2020: Portrayals of Sex and Identity - Another Magazine.
- 13 Latinx Artists Creating Impact Within Their Culture - BuzzFeed, 2020.
- 2020 - 3rd Annual Latin American Foto Festival, Bronx Documentary Center, "Don’t Call Me Trigueña; I’m Black", New York, USA.
- 2020 - "Temporal: Puerto Rican Resistance" Group Exhibition, Museum of Contemporary Photography in Chicago, USA.
- 2020 - GalleryView: Portfolio Review by the Annenberg Space for Photography and Photoville. Selected Participant.
- 2019 - Winer Teodoro Torres Award (Photo-Essay) in the Annual Competition of the Association of Puerto Rican Photojournalists.
- 2019 - Annual Competition of the Association of Puerto Rican Photojournalists, Group Exhibition, San Juan, Puerto Rico .
- 2018 - "Upstairs" at Petrus Gallery, Group Exhibition, San Juan Puerto Rico.
- 2018 - "Más Allá de María" at the Museum of the Américas, Group Exhibition, San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- 2018 - "María: Categoria 6" at La Marqueta Retoña, Collective Exhibition, New York, USA.
- 2017 - Spéos Paris Photographic Institute, Group Exhibition. Paris, France.