Adriana Parrilla is a documentary photographer born and raised in San Juan, Puerto Rico. She is based between San Juan, Puerto Rico, and Paris, France. Her work focuses on long-term form storytelling using mixed media photography to explore themes of identity, Blackness, and racialization in a colonized country.
She holds a BA in Modern Languages from the University of Puerto Rico, and a European Master in Photojournalism and Documentary Photography from Spéos Photographic Institute in Paris.
Her professional background as a ballet and contemporary dancer played a significant role in developing an inner sensibility to the world around her. In 2019, she was awarded the Teodoro Torres Award (Photo-Essay) in the Annual Competition of the Association of Puerto Rican Photojournalists. In 2021, she was selected as a mentee for the Women Photograph Mentorship Class. As well, some of her photographs from her project, ¡Santa María!, were acquired by the Museum of Contemporary Photography in Chicago and the US Library of Congress.
Her work has appeared in The Washington Post, Huck Magazine, Another Magazine, The Guardian and, more.
Currently in📍San Juan, Puerto Rico.
Available for assignments globally.
Languages: Spanish (fluent), English (fluent), French (fluent) and Italian (basic).
Let's Collaborate ! ⬇
Exhibitions / Recognitions
- 2021 - 9 Puerto Rican Visual Artists to Look Out For in 2021 - Visura.co
- 2021 - Women Photograph Mentorship Program, Mentee
- 2020 - The Best Photo Stories of 2020: Portrayals of Sex and Identity - Another Magazine.
- 13 Latinx Artists Creating Impact Within Their Culture - BuzzFeed, 2020.
- 2020 - 3rd Annual Latin American Foto Festival, Bronx Documentary Center, "Don’t Call Me Trigueña; I’m Black", New York, USA.
- 2020 - "Temporal: Puerto Rican Resistance" Group Exhibition, Museum of Contemporary Photography in Chicago, USA.
- 2020 - GalleryView: Portfolio Review by the Annenberg Space for Photography and Photoville. Selected Participant.
- 2019 - Winer Teodoro Torres Award (Photo-Essay) in the Annual Competition of the Association of Puerto Rican Photojournalists.
- 2019 - Annual Competition of the Association of Puerto Rican Photojournalists, Group Exhibition, San Juan, Puerto Rico .
- 2018 - "Upstairs" at Petrus Gallery, Group Exhibition, San Juan Puerto Rico.
- 2018 - "Más Allá de María" at the Museum of the Américas, Group Exhibition, San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- 2018 - "María: Categoria 6" at La Marqueta Retoña, Collective Exhibition, New York, USA.
- 2017 - Spéos Paris Photographic Institute, Group Exhibition. Paris, France.